SimGHOSTS Supports Affiliate INACSL with New Operations Standard
This week in Toronto Canada, Organization Founder & Chairman of the Board Lance Baily was on-hand to represent SimGHOSTS at the 2018 Annual International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation & Learning's (INACSL) conference. The four day event was attended by over 600 Nursing and Simulation Champions from all over Canada and the World. The show was opened with a Video Introduction which included a Welcome to Canada message from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau!
Lance provided an educational session on Friday which covered Why a Simulation Technology Specialist is so important to the short and long-term success of Simulation Programs. Most of the attendees in the session raised their hands when asked "Who here is responsible for the clinical education as well as the technical operation of simulation in your programs?". Lance shared with the audience how to convince their administrators (in a language management would understand), that they were spending sometimes as much as 2x-3x more than was necessary for them to provide 1/10th the technical expertise in simulation operations. Educator burnout, equipment malfunction, and unknown performance outcomes will surely result! Lance then shared how to:
- Secure funding for technical support
- Find the right Sim Tech for their program needs
- Train and professionally support that staff position for the near and long-term
Get access to 300+ sessions like this when you subscribe to SimGHOSTS.org today -- its only $60 a year!
Earlier, during the plenary sessions INACSL President Kristina Thomas Dreifuerst reminded the audience about the newly launched Operations Standard, collaboratively developed with a team of community representatives including SimGHOSTS Past-President Dr. Scott Crawford, MD.
The Standards states "All simulation-based education programs require systems and infrastructure to support and maintain operations", and suggests the following criteria to meet it:
- Implement a strategic plan that coordinates and aligns resources of the SBE program to achieve its goals.
- Provide personnel with appropriate expertise to support and sustain the SBE program.
- Use a system to manage space, equipment, and personnel resources.
- Maintain and manage the financial resources to support stability, sustainability, and growth of the SBE program's goals and outcomes.
- Use a formal process for effective systems integration.
- Create policies and procedures to support and sustain the SBE program.
You can learn more about the Standard on the INASCL Standards of Best Practice Webpage here.
INACSL also launched their new website layout which you can see for yourself when you visit the INACSL.org website to learn more about their 2019 event:
June 19-22, 2019
JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort and Spa